Please make sure you read the following!
Before beginning, read through this form completely and be sure you have all the necessary information, photos, and other items. That way once you begin completing the application you will have all the required materials at hand. You will not be able to submit an incomplete application.
You will need:
- All of your address and contact information for yourself, your parents or guardians, and other adults
- A current photo (.jpeg or .tiff, please)
- Your completed essay questions
- Your medical information (including insurance plan numbers and doctors' contact information)
- The names and email addresses of two people who will provide reference letters for you. Your references should be adults (18 years or older) who know you well but who are not related to you (teacher, family friend, coach, etc.)
Your references must submit their responses before the deadline in order for you to be considered. (The reference documents will be automatically generated when you submit your application; please make sure they have enough time to complete your reference and send it to us.) As a reminder, submission of an application is not a guarantee of placement.
- Application due date (returning volunteers): Friday, February 21, 2020
- Application due date (new volunteers): Friday, February 28, 2020
- Notification of selection for interview: Friday, March 13, 2020
All candidates must be available for an in-person interview date on Saturday, March 21, 2020, and must be available for in-person training on May 9 or June 7.
Due to staffing and space considerations, we are not able to waive the in-person interview and training requirements. Candidates who cannot attend the interview or training dates will not be considered for placement.
All teen volunteers must be at least 13 by June 22, 2020, and no older than 17 by August 14, 2020. Teens turning 18 years old before Aug. 14, 2020, are encouraged to apply for openings in the adult volunteer programs.
Please see the volunteer pages at https://nationalzoo.si.edu/support/volunteer to learn more.